Havarti cheese is a Danish delicacy that is mild and loved by everyone. It is especially kids’ favorite as it has a mild and exciting taste compared to regular ones like cheddar, parmesan, or mozzarella.
This type of cheese has a smooth texture. Although it is often paired with dill, caraway seeds, horseradish, and others, it is like a blank canvas that absorbs certain flavors when served plain. It is also an excellent choice for making classic grilled cheese. In this article, we have put down the different grilled cheese recipes that can be made using Havarti cheese.
The three classic essentials for making a grilled cheese are:
- Room temperature cheese
- Good quality bread
- Soft butter, preferably unsalted
Classic Havarti Grilled cheese
- Preheat a small skillet and ensure it does not overheat, lest the bread should burn.
- Cut a small slice of butter and toss it over the skillet and allow it to melt in the pan slowly
- Choose the type of Havarti cheese needed (plain or flavored)
- Spread smooth and soft butter on one side of each slice of bread
- Put 3-4 slices of Havarti cheese and spread butter on them.
- Now place the cheese slices inside the bread and cook on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Ensure the cheese is completely melted inside the bread.
Some people also wish to add veggies and tomatoes inside their grilled cheese, which can be skipped.
Instead, you can pair your sandwich with hot and creamy tomato soup, French fries, potato chips, or other sides of your choice. A big bowl of healthy salad also goes well with this recipe.
Havarti Grilled cheese with caramelized onion and bacon
- Seeded rye bread goes well with this recipe. However, non-seeded rye bread or sliced sourdough bread also goes well with Havarti cheese.
- Once the skillet is preheated, and the cheese is placed inside the bread, add butter into the pan, add finely chopped onion, and fry it until it is soft and caramelized.
- Set them aside and add more butter to the skillet to toast the bread
- Once the cheese is melted, add dijon mustard, mayonnaise (if needed), finely cut pieces of bacon, and top it off with the caramelized onions.
The sequence of adding mayo, onion, and bacon can be interchanged depending on one’s flavor preference. This, too, can be enjoyed with soups, French fries, chips, or a big bowl of salad on the side.
Havarti cheese goes well with particular meat like bacon and eggs since it absorbs the added flavors. People also add tobacco and other types of sauces to it.