If you’re a fan of the classic bread and jam, it is time to quit the basic, sugary store-bought jams and prepare a healthier and tastier version at home using chia seeds. It is richly sweet and provides a perfect jam consistency which you can enjoy at any time, guilt–free.
One of the best parts of making a chia jam is it can be combined with the desired fruits and flavors to bring out the natural flavors in a jam.
Ingredients to prepare Chia seed jam
It is a simple recipe that requires only four essential ingredients.
- Fresh seasonal fruit: Fruits like strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, nectarines, and apricots go well with the bland flavor of chia seeds.
- Two tablespoons of whole chia seeds
- Any choice of sweeteners like honey, sugar, maple syrup, or stevia if you’re looking for sugar-free jam options.
- A dash of fresh lime juice
Procedure to make chia seed jam
Since fruit is the second-most important ingredient in the recipe, preparing and gathering the necessary fruit is essential. If you’re making it in small batches, start with 2 cups of washed fruit. If the fruits are more prominent, cut them into smaller sizes. It can be used as a whole if you’re using raspberries or blueberries.
Place a large pot on medium heat, and add a few tablespoons of sugar and a dash of lemon juice. Make sure to keep sitting the mixture constantly. This will help break down the fruit and make it mushy once the simmering process begins. Once it becomes soft, you can turn off the heat and allow it to rest for the next 5-7 minutes.
If you do not wish to have lumps of fruit in your jam, use a potato masher or a hand blender to mash it into a smooth texture thoroughly.
Adding chia seeds
Lastly, once everything looks smooth and combined, add the chia seeds. While some fruits are more watery than others, it is essential to adjust the consistency of chia seeds based on the consistency of the jam.
Once done, transfer them to a container or a sealed jar and allow them to soak for 30 minutes and enjoy.
How to use chia seed jam
Since they do not contain preservatives, they can be enjoyed with almost all baked goods and different types of bread. Some ideas are given below:
- Use it on fresh toast with peanut butter to make a PBJ sandwich.
- Use it as a spread on a banana or zucchini bread.
- Swirl it on top of your oatmeal or porridge to induce sweetness
- Add a generous amount on top of pancakes and waffles.
- Mix it with plain yogurt and enjoy it w